Dr. Ramtin Massoudi and Aluna Vein Centers are proud to be a leading specialist in vein treatment with four conveniently locations: Beverly Hills, Encino, Glendale and Irvine. Aluna Vein Centers are dedicated to delivering the highest quality of care possible to patients throughout Southern California. Dr. Massoudi is an experienced and certified vein specialist who is committed to the utmost level of care and personalization for every one of his patients’ needs. We offer minimally invasive cosmetic, laser vein treatments and body shaping for men and women. Laser can be used for variety of treatment at Aluna Vein Centers, Dr. Massoudi use laser to remove varicose and spider veins.
What Are Varicose Veins
Varicose veins are enlarged, bulgy and twisted veins that are mostly seen in a person’s legs and feet. Varicose veins develop from a condition known as ‘venous insufficiency.’ Venous insufficiency develops when the valves inside of a vein do not work properly. In healthy veins, the valves will prevent blood from flowing backward. However, in diseased or insufficient veins, the valves don’t close properly. This can result in blood pooling in certain parts of the vein. This backwards pooling of the blood can put too much pressure on the vein and cause it to expand and protrude, leading to the unsightly appearance of varicose veins.
In mild cases, one may experience spider veins instead. Spider veins are tiny veins at the surface of the skin that can appear without any associated symptoms. These veins can sometimes signal the development of larger varicose veins so it’s important to have them checked. The appearance of spider veins may be bothersome, however, treatment of spider veins may be considered a cosmetic service and cannot be covered by insurance because they’re too small to cause harm.
Causes of Varicose Veins
Varicose veins result from a condition known as “venous insufficiency." Venous insufficiency develops when the valves inside of a vein do not work properly. If the valves do not close effectively, blood can flow backward, which is called “venous reflux.”
"NOT ALL VARICOSE VEINS ARE VISIBLE TO NAKED EYES, AND MAY NEED TO BE DIAGNOSED WITH AN ULTRASOUND"
This puts too much pressure on the vein wall, forcing it to enlarge, and become varicose. Insufficient veins are common in the legs because the flow of blood is working against gravity, making it harder to return blood to the heart. Anyone can have varicose veins, but there are certain factors that could make someone more vulnerable to acquiring them. Some of these risk factors include:
- Sitting or Standing/Sedentary lifestyle/Immobility
- Blood Clots
- Physical Trauma
- Pelvic/Abdominal Vein Obstruction
Signs & Symptoms of Varicose Veins
- Visible, bulging veins
- Pain, aching, or cramping
- Skin discoloration or texture changes
- Burning, itching, tingling
- Heaviness or fatigue
If you experience these symptoms and delay evaluation and treatment, your condition may worsen to:
- Phlebitis (vein inflammation)
- Venous Eczema (Stasis Dermatitis)
- Blood clots (DVT, Pulmonary Embolism)
- Ankle sores, skin or venous ulcers
- Bleeding of the skin of the affected area.
Some of these can be life-threatening issues.
Varicose Vein Treatment Options
Dr. Massoudi offers a variety of vein treatments depending on your specific needs. These varicose vein treatment options include:
- Comprehensive Duplex Ultrasound Evaluation:
- Superficial venous mapping
- Ruling out Deep Venous Thrombosis (DVT) and Superficial Venous Thrombosis (SVT)
- Liquid Sclerotherapy under VeinLite (Vein Light) guidance
- Foam Sclerotherapy under Vein light guidance or Ultrasound Guidance
- Endovenous Ablation Treatment
- Endovenous Laser Treatment (EVLT), 1470 nm Laser
- Venefit (RadioFrequency Venous Closure)
- Clarivein (Mechanical and Chemical Endovenous Ablation)
- VenaSeal (Adhesive Sealing the Vein)
- Microphlebecomy or Ambulatory Micro-Phlebectomy (Removing Varicose Veins)
- Compression Stocking Therapy
- Herbal Medications
- Weight loss
An ultrasound evaluation is a key component to diagnosing venous insufficiency. This is performed by our registered vascular ultrasound technicians and takes around 15-30 minutes. This is just one part of the initial intake process at Aluna Vein Centers. To learn more about duplex ultrasound evaluation.
Your first visit will include:
- Initial comprehensive vein screening, mapping, and consultation includes (allow 1-2 hours)
- Complete medical history and physical examination (including CEAP classification system)
- Full ultrasound mapping of the superficial and deep venous systems of the lower extremities
- Creation and implementation of a personalized treatment regimen
- Laboratory evaluation of venous thromboembolism as needed
- Patient educational pamphlet on venous disease and treatment options
- Before and after treatment instructions
- Accurate compression stocking size measurement and prescription
Contact One of Our Local Vein Treatment Centers:
If you’re experiencing any of the listed symptoms in your legs or feet, please don’t hesitate to contact us. We specialize in vein treatment and vein removal so give us a call to schedule an appointment at (310) 855-7171 if you’re in the Beverly Hills, Encino, Glendale and Irvine, in the Southern California areas. If you’re a first time patient to our office, we offer free vein screenings. We look forward to meeting you!